Preventing Rain Damage To Your Commercial Building
Rain damage to your Barrington Hills,IL, business can cause major problems. However, there are some precautionary measures you can take to prevent this from happening.
How To Protect The Building From Water Damage
The walls and roof of a building form the barrier between the inside of the building and the outdoor elements. This barrier is called the building envelope. Maintaining this envelope is the most important step you can take to prevent rainwater entry to the building. The following are some specific steps you can take to keep the barrier secure:
- Have inspections done twice a year.
- Repair cracked bricks and plaster.
- Replace missing or damaged roof shingles.
- Replace deteriorated sealants.
- Keep gutters in good condition.
- Ensure that the ground slopes away from the building.
A contractor can inform you of any other maintenance tasks that your structure may require.
What To Do If Water Damage Occurs
Unfortunately, even the most well-maintained buildings may experience rain damage. If this occurs, it is important to begin cleanup as quickly as possible in order to avoid black mold and other hazards. Every situation is unique, but the following steps provide a general overview of the water damage restoration process:
- Remove standing water. Depending on the water level, you may be able to use buckets to scoop out the water. Special pumps and vacuums can also be used.
- Dry out remaining water. Dehumidifiers and fans come in handy here. If humidity is low enough outside, you can also open windows and doors.
- Sanitize everything that came into contact with the flood water.
- Repair or replace all damaged goods.
Routine maintenance of the building and quick cleanup of any water can minimize the effects of rain damage to your building. However, you may wish to enlist the help of an experienced restoration team to help get your business back to normal quickly and safely.